Nguyen Hoan Hoang from I-SYST inc, Canada has developed a miniature wireless MCU module based on nRF52840 which can sit on your fingertip.
He specializes in Wireless connectivity, Smart Sensor & IoT Solutions. Prior to this module, he has already designed another module called BLYST Nano. I am sure many of your have already read about it.
So, what is new in this BLYST840 module?
It’s a feature-rich but miniature and ultra-low-power SoM to make it easy to use in your IoT Project.
See a small introduction video below:
Features & Specifications of BLYS840
BLYST840 modules are designed to save PCB space, to allow user use the functionality of nRF52840 without any external components.
- Controller: It uses a Nordic Semiconductor nRF52840 wireless Soc
- 32-bit ARM Cortex-M4F running at 64 MHz with 1 MB flash & 256 KB RAM
- All 46 I/O pins are exposed via pads around the edges of the module
- Programmable Peripheral Interface – PPI
- High speed SPI interface 32 MHz
- Quad SPI interface 32 MHz
- EasyDMA for all digital interfaces
- USB 2.0 (12 Mbits)
- Built-in inductors as a DC/DC converter for USB powering
- Termination resistors for reliable communications
- Wireless protocols:
- Bluetooth 5.2 ready
- High throughput: up to 2 Mbps
- Long range: -96 dBm sensitivity
- Advertising extensions
- Improved coexistence (CSA #2)
- Bluetooth Low Energy
- Up to 111 dB link budget
- Bluetooth Mesh
- Module also supports other protocols like IEEE 802.15.4 radio, Thread, Zigbee, NFC-A
- Bluetooth 5.2 ready
- Wireless reception:
- Built-in ceramic antenna with programmable output power from +8 dBm to -20 dBm
- High-precision RSSI
- ARM® TrustZone® Cryptocell 310
- 128-bit AES/ECB/CCM/AAR co-processor
- Software Support:
- MicroPython, IOsonata open source multi-architecture multi-platform object-oriented design library, Eclipse IDE, Nordic SDKs
- Wide supply voltage range 1.7 V to 5.5 V
- Regulated supply for external components up to 25 mA
- Size: just 14mm x 9mm x 1.6 mm. Simply, WOW!
- Certifications: Module is FCC, IC & CE certified and could be integrated into product design without any certification hassles.
Security & Power Efficiency
This powerful wireless module bring unmatched wireless security and power efficiency. The nRF52840 adds security for CortexTM-M Series with on-chip ARM® CryptoCell cryptographic accelerator.
The nRF52840 Wireless Soc used on the module is an extremely power efficient device that can run from a supply that provides 1.7 V to 5.5 V good for battery powered sensors and devices.
Options to Buy, cost, availability
Each module costs 22$ with 8$ worldwide shipping. It is currently available on crowdsupply.
There are various buying options other than just the module as initially you would want to be easily experiment with the modules features.
More details could be found on the product launch page on crowd supply.
You can read my other blogs or interesting embedded system articles here where I share some of the practical tips for embedded system design.
I help embedded engineers and start ups build reliable and successful embedded products and providing professional services as embedded system design consultant. If you need any help please let me know here.
Happy Learning to you!