Many engineers struggle to find good EMI EMC testing labs (for electronics products) in India. It’s a big effort to find different labs by searching online, finding the contact details, make a list of what all they can help you with, like environmental testing, vibration testing, ESD, EMI EMC testing, etc., requesting them for a quote to understand the pricing information and many times one lab do not have all the equipments for all the requirement you have.
The task is more difficult because test facility providing companies don’t provide easy access to the right information like what all tests & certification their facility can provide. It is hard to find information on many company’s their website so you end up sending them email or calling and asking all the questions manually.
Recently, I was searching for the same and when I did not find a good list of labs (for electronics products) available in India easily, I thought of creating one. It might be helpful for many engineers & companies who are building new products and searching for test lab facilities.
Overview of Embedded Product Testing
As per Wiki, Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) is the ability of electrical equipment and systems to function acceptably in their electromagnetic environment, by limiting the unintentional generation, propagation and reception of electromagnetic energy which may cause unwanted effects such as electromagnetic interference (EMI) or even physical damage in operational equipment.
Read more here: A Beginners Guide to EMC
Following are some of the useful links which will give you good background about what are these tests and why such tests are required for the product compliance.
- What is EMI EMC Testing and Why is it required?
- What is Environmental Testing and Why is it required?
- What is Vibration & Shock Testing and Why is it required?
Some interesting videos you might want to watch about EMI EMC:
- Learn how you can use near field probes could be used to find part of the circuit which are emitting radiations.
- Learn about EMScan a very innovative way of scanning board for EMI radiation and its intensity.
- Watch video showing PCB layer impact on EMI (EEVblog #1176 – 2 Layer vs 4 Layer PCB EMC TESTED!)
General Steps to follow for a new product testing (before launch):
- Take all necessary considerations during the technical spec and the design phase.
- Using pre-certified modules(Wifi, BLE, GSM/GPRS, GPS, etc.) helps a lot.
- Use DC-DC converters carefully considering emissions.
- PCB need to be designed carefully.
- Get it reviewed by an expert so you know early on if there are potential issues.
- One should test the product, in-house to narrow down the potential issues, if any. This is to save the cost, time and effort which otherwise one need to spend in the lab. If you are going to have many products developed in few years then it might make sense to invest in some of the test equipments and for the more expensive once you will need to go to labs for the testing.
- Pre-certification testing in the lab: After you have done enough testing inhouse and now feel confident about the design, it is always advisable to do a pre-certification testing to see if their are any gaps. For this, you may want to ask the testing lab a times slot for a day or so so that with the help of available equipments you check the performance of your product.
- Talk to some consultant if there are issues and you need external help. Many a times testing lab has the facility where they guide you in case you find some failures and need help. I have also added details about one consultant who could help you with necessary guidance to improve the performance. They have small in-house EMI EMC testing facility as well, which helps a lot.
- After you have got good results in the pre-certification testing, you are now ready to go for final certification. Many a times for smaller products, it is more competitive to get the certification done from outside India labs. Travel cost & Certification cost comes lesser than the cost of certification from labs in India. I have added SGS Taiwan’s contact below for your reference.
List of EMI EMC Testing Labs
1. Wipro Tarang Lab, Bangalore
Address: SJP-2 Campus, Wipro Technologies, Kaikondrahalli, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560035, Phone: 080 4056 1551, Google Map
Services Offered: Tarang is Wipro’s 24×7 independent product qualification and compliance laboratory with testing capabilities for following services:
- Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC)
- Shock & vibration
- Medical Devices, etc.
2. ComPlus, Bangalore
Address: 77/9, 1st Floor, 3rd main, Rajajinagar Industrial Town, Bangalore: 560044, 91-80-23146683/41683883, firstname.lastname@example.org
Services Offered: Only EMI EMC testing.
3. ELCIA Cluster, Bangalore
Services Offered (No EMI EMC): Mechanical /Electronics & Product Design• PCB Prototyping• PCB assembly (SMD)• High accuracy Optical inspection facility• X-ray PCB inspection & BGA Rework station facility• 3D Printing• High Precision CNC machining, Turning, DRO Milling,grinding, Pneumatic Tapping, Radial drilling• CNC EDM and WEDM machining• Laser cutting and precision Sheet metal fabrication• Environmental & Vibration Testing facilities• Skill development Training center
4. Medivalley AIC AMTZ Incubation Council, Vizag
Address: AMTZ Campus, Pragati Maidan, VM Steel Project S.O, Visakhapatnam: 530031. Phone: +91 8885092122
5. TUV, Bangalore
Address: TUV Lab, # 108, Electronics City Phase 1, Electronic City, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560100, 080 3989 9888
Services Offered: Environmental testing, Vibration, EMI EMC, etc.
6. SGS India Pvt. Ltd., India
Address: Labs available in various cities
Services Offered: Environmental testing, Vibration & Shock, EMI EMC, etc.
7. ITC India Pvt. Ltd., Punjab
Address: Plot No. 146, JLPL Industrial Area, Sector 82, Mohali, Punjab,160062 Tel : 09316473033, email@example.com, www.itcindia.org
8. SKC Environ Pvt. Ltd., Bangalore
Address: B-7, NGEF Industrial Estate, 2nd cross,Mahadevapura, Whitefield,
Bangalore-560048, +91 7349 4479 77, +91 7349 4479 77, firstname.lastname@example.org
Services: (They don’t have EMI EMC Testing Facility)
- Heat Cold Humidity Testing
- Vibration Testing
- Thermal Shock Testing
- Drop Testing
- Mechanical Shock Testing
- Altitude Testing
- Ozone Testing
- Water Bath
- Salt Spray Testing
- Cylinder Testing
- Dust Test
- Servo Actuators & UTM
- Abrasion Testing
- Muffle Furnace
- Integrated Vibro Temp Testing
- Cath Testing
- Noise Testing
- Pressure Testing
- Flammability Testing
9. SAMEER – Centre for Electromagnetics, Chennai
Address: CIT Campus, 2nd Cross Road, Taramani, Chennai, PIN 600113. INDIA. Phones (+91-44) 22541583, 22541817, Fax (+91-44) 22541938, 22541424 (Customer Care Cell-EMCD), Email: email@example.com, Website: http://cem.sameer.in, For EMI/EMC services, please contact at firstname.lastname@example.org
Services Offered (EMC Lab):
- Conducted Susceptibility (CS)
- Conducted Emission (CE)
- Radiated Emission (RE) and Radiated Susceptibility (RS)
- Open Area Test (OATS)
10. Bharat Test House Labs, Delhi
Address: 454/2, BTH Complex, Opp.Timber Market, Azadpur, New Delhi-110033, India. Ph.: 91-11-27672629, 27675696 Fax: 91-11-43851204, email@example.com
Services Offered: (See list here)
- EMI EMC
- Environmental (Temperature, Humidity, Pressure)
- Vibration & Shock
- Electrical, etc.
11. Electrical Research and Development Association, Vadodara
Address: ERDA Road, GIDC, Makarpura, Vadodara – 390 010 Gujarat, India.
Tel.: +91 265 3043129-3043131, 3043133, 2642942, 2642964, 2642377
Toll Free No. : 1800 233 2668, Fax : +91 265 2638382
Services Offered: https://www.erda.org/testing-facilities.html
12. SGS Taiwan Ltd
錯誤! 尚未指定檔名。Michael Lee 李昌黎, Michael.Lee@sgs.com, SGS-電子通訊實驗室 , Electronics & Communication Lab, Phone: +886 2 2299 3279 Ext. 1516, Fax:+886 2 2298 9489, Mobile:0939-770-848, 新北市五股區五工路134號
List of EMI EMC Consultants
1. EMC RF TECHNOLOGY SOLUTIONS, Bangalore
Mr. Lakkoju Narasimha Acharyulu, +91 99720 34476, firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: Flat No. D, Arathi Apartment,Tth B Cross, Abbaiaha Reddy Layout, Kaggadasapura, Sir C V Raman Nagar,P.O, Bangalore – 560 093.
Best part of taking help from them is that they have inhouse EMI EMC testing chamber which will enable you to do testing several times while you are trying to improve your designs performance for EMI EMC.
I hope the information provided above is useful.
If you are aware of any more good labs, please send me details over email and I will add it to the list and also credit to you. Please share your feedback or comments.
Read some more practical tips on embedded system design here.