Overview of Embedded Product Testing
- What is EMI EMC Testing and Why is it required?
- What is Environmental Testing and Why is it required?
- What is Vibration & Shock Testing and Why is it required?
- Learn how you can use near field probes could be used to find part of the circuit which are emitting radiations.
- Learn about EMScan a very innovative way of scanning board for EMI radiation and its intensity.
- Watch the video below showing PCB layer impact on EMI:
General Steps to follow for a new product testing (before launch):
- Take all necessary considerations during the technical spec and the design phase.
- Using pre-certified modules(Wifi, BLE, GSM/GPRS, GPS, etc.) helps a lot.
- Use DC-DC converters carefully considering emissions.
- PCB need to be designed carefully.
- Get it reviewed by an expert so you know early on if there are potential issues.
- One should test the product, in-house to narrow down the potential issues, if any. This is to save the cost, time and effort which otherwise one need to spend in the lab. If you are going to have many products developed in few years then it might make sense to invest in some of the test equipments and for the more expensive once you will need to go to labs for the testing.
- Pre-certification testing in the lab: After you have done enough testing inhouse and now feel confident about the design, it is always advisable to do a pre-certification testing to see if their are any gaps. For this, you may want to ask the testing lab a times slot for a day or so so that with the help of available equipments you check the performance of your product.
- Talk to some consultant if there are issues and you need external help. Many a times testing lab has the facility where they guide you in case you find some failures and need help. I have also added details about one consultant who could help you with necessary guidance to improve the performance. They have small in-house EMI EMC testing facility as well, which helps a lot.
- After you have got good results in the pre-certification testing, you are now ready to go for final certification. Many a times for smaller products, it is more competitive to get the certification done from outside India labs. Travel cost & Certification cost comes lesser than the cost of certification from labs in India. I have added SGS Taiwan’s contact below for your reference.
List of EMI EMC Testing Labs
1. Wipro Tarang Lab, Bangalore
- Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC)
- Shock & vibration
- Medical Devices, etc.
2. ITI Limited, Bangalore
Address: ITI Limited, Bangalore Plant and R&D, Dooravaninagar, Bangalore-560016, Karnataka,India. Phone :+91 97422 89097, 080-26567640. Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
This lab is a part of the Telecom Testing Centre which ITI has built In-house as per the MoU signed with TEC to meet the EMC requirements of the Telecom Equipment launched in the market. This lab can test Industrial, Scientific, Medical, and IT equipment for Emission and Immunity requirements of TEC as per International Standards. MIL-STD-461 is followed for Defence and Commercial equipment can be tested as per CISPR 11/22/15/32.
More details on their website.
I have spoken to them and they charge 25,000 INR for half-day EMI testing facility and 45,000 INR for full-day lab testing. If you are planning to go please prebook the slot via email.
Services Offered: EMI EMC testing.
3. ComPlus, Bangalore
4. ELCIA Cluster, Bangalore
5. Medivalley AIC AMTZ Incubation Council, Vizag
Address: AMTZ Campus, Pragati Maidan, VM Steel Project S.O, Visakhapatnam: 530031. Phone: +91 8885092122
6. TUV, Bangalore
Address: TUV Lab, # 108, Electronics City Phase 1, Electronic City, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560100, 080 3989 9888
Services Offered: Environmental testing, Vibration, EMI EMC, etc.
7. SGS India Pvt. Ltd., India
Address: Labs available in various cities
Services Offered: Environmental testing, Vibration & Shock, EMI EMC, etc.
8. ITC India Pvt. Ltd., Punjab
9. SKC Environ Pvt. Ltd., Bangalore
Address: B-7, NGEF Industrial Estate, 2nd cross,Mahadevapura, Whitefield,
Bangalore-560048, +91 7349 4479 77, +91 7349 4479 77, email@example.com
Services: (They don’t have EMI EMC Testing Facility)
- Heat Cold Humidity Testing
- Vibration Testing
- Thermal Shock Testing
- Drop Testing
- Mechanical Shock Testing
- Altitude Testing
- Ozone Testing
- Water Bath
- Salt Spray Testing
- Cylinder Testing
- Dust Test
- Servo Actuators & UTM
- Abrasion Testing
- Muffle Furnace
- Integrated Vibro Temp Testing
- Cath Testing
- Noise Testing
- Pressure Testing
- Flammability Testing
10. SAMEER – Centre for Electromagnetics, Chennai
Address: CIT Campus, 2nd Cross Road, Taramani, Chennai, PIN 600113. INDIA. Phones (+91-44) 22541583, 22541817, Fax (+91-44) 22541938, 22541424 (Customer Care Cell-EMCD), Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Website: http://cem.sameer.in, For EMI/EMC services, please contact at email@example.com
Services Offered (EMC Lab):
- Conducted Susceptibility (CS)
- Conducted Emission (CE)
- Radiated Emission (RE) and Radiated Susceptibility (RS)
- Open Area Test (OATS)
11. Bharat Test House Labs, Delhi
Address: 454/2, BTH Complex, Opp.Timber Market, Azadpur, New Delhi-110033, India. Ph.: 91-11-27672629, 27675696 Fax: 91-11-43851204, firstname.lastname@example.org
Services Offered: (See list here)
- EMI EMC
- Environmental (Temperature, Humidity, Pressure)
- Vibration & Shock
- Electrical, etc.
12. Electrical Research and Development Association, Vadodara
Address: ERDA Road, GIDC, Makarpura, Vadodara – 390 010 Gujarat, India.
Tel.: +91 265 3043129-3043131, 3043133, 2642942, 2642964, 2642377
Toll Free No. : 1800 233 2668, Fax : +91 265 2638382
Services Offered: https://www.erda.org/testing-facilities.html
13. Rishabh Instruments Pvt. Ltd. EMI EMC Lab, Nashik
Address: Rishabh Instruments Pvt. Ltd. C-6, Trishala, Near NICE Area, MIDC Satpur, Nashik – 422 007. Email: email@example.com, Phone: +91 253 2202313, WhatsApp: +91 9850501232.
Various test services available are:
- Electrical Fast Transient Burst (EFT)
- Immunity to Electrostatic Discharges (ESD)
- Surge Immunity Test
- Test of Immunity to Conducted Disturbances, Induced by Radio Frequency Fields (CS)
- Immunity to Electromagnetic HF Field using Anechoic Chamber
- Radio interference Measurement – Conducted Emission (CE)
- Radio interference Measurements- Radiated Emission (RE)
- Power Frequency Magnetic Field (PFMF)
- Voltage Dips & Interruptions (VDI)
More details can be found on their website link.
14. SGS Taiwan Ltd
錯誤! 尚未指定檔名。Michael Lee 李昌黎, Michael.Lee@sgs.com, SGS-電子通訊實驗室 , Electronics & Communication Lab, Phone: +886 2 2299 3279 Ext. 1516, Fax:+886 2 2298 9489, Mobile:0939-770-848, 新北市五股區五工路134號
List of EMI EMC Consultants
1. EMC RF TECHNOLOGY SOLUTIONS, Bangalore
Mr. Lakkoju Narasimha Acharyulu, +91 99720 34476, firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: Flat No. D, Arathi Apartment,Tth B Cross, Abbaiaha Reddy Layout, Kaggadasapura, Sir C V Raman Nagar,P.O, Bangalore – 560 093.
Best part of taking help from them is that they have inhouse EMI EMC testing chamber which will enable you to do testing several times while you are trying to improve your designs performance for EMI EMC.
I hope the information provided above is useful.
If you are aware of any more good labs, please send me details over email and I will add it to the list and also credit to you. Please share your feedback or comments.
Read some more practical tips on embedded system design here.