There are various circuit protections required to make sure your product is capable of working well in the harsh environmental commercial and industrial environment.
Some of the critical protections which are required for any embedded products are:
- Power Supply Protection
- Over Voltage
- Surge / Spike
- Overcurrent / Short circuit
- Protection for interfaces / IOs like GPIOs, RS232, RS485
- Galvanic Isolators
- Surge protection
- Software Protection
- Memory wear and tear
- Watchdog timer for CPU hang
- MCU Clock related issues
- Protections from Environmental conditions like:
- Thermal Protection due to high or low temperature
- Protection from humidity, dust & corrosive environment
Hope this helps.
Happy Learning to you!