Onion Omega2S / 2S+ a Linux computer module was launched specifically for IoT (OEMs) applications. Omega2S feature interfaces like USB, SDHC/eMMC storage support, Ethernet, 3x UARTs, I2C, SPI, I2S, GPIOs, etc.
The cost of the module is very attractive. Many engineers would like to use this module for their embedded product development. But, there are various limitations which one needs to be aware of before making a decision on using it.
What are the various advantages of this Linux computer module which has become so popular?
Various advantages of Onion Omega2S computer module
1. Small Form Factor: It is a small 34x20x2.8 mm package. One can use it for a product with size constraints.
2. Castellated Pads: It has half-cut edge pads, you can solder it on the application PCB directly. No connector required. Also, one can hand-solder it easily during the prototyping phase.
3. Low Cost: On Mouser.com for a single unit, Omega2S costs only 11.05$ & Omega2S+ costs 12.21$.
4. Inbuilt WiFi: It has inbuilt WiFi with U.FL connector for an external antenna. Option for an external antenna very useful. Many times the PCB antenna is not enough for the performance required in the field.
5. Documentation Support: Good amount of online documentation and forum support is available.
6. Availability: Onion Omega2S module is available on Mouser and Digikey for purchase in low quantities. For direct purchase min. order quantity is 250 units. For smaller quantities, Onion recommends purchasing from Mouser.com. Mouser provides more cost-effective shipping options.
7. Features: Given the cost, Single core MIPS 580Mhz CPU, Flash (64MB/128MB) and RAM (16MB/32MB) are quite decent. It has pins for USB, SDHC/eMMC storage support, Ethernet, 3x UARTs, I2C, SPI, GPIOs, I2S, etc.
8. Certification: The module is CE/FCC certified. So, the developer need not worry about EMI issues.
Now, let us see what are the limitations of this little low cost embedded Linux computer module.
Limitation of Onion Omega2S computer module
1. Availability: This is the most critical parameter. As per the Onion website, guaranteed availability is till Jan 2022. That’s a big limitation. In general, a product needs 18-24 months of time to be ready for the market. And then, atleast 2-3 years for selling the product. For this reason, a module should have a min availability of 7 years. The company might claim that availability might get extended but still, there is a big risk.
2. Temperature Range: Its operating temperature is -10 to 55 Degree C. Many Commercial/Industrial applications will need a wider operating temperature range.
3. Limited CPU performance: It has a single core MIPS processor running at 580Mhz. Might not be good enough for complex applications.
4. Limited Flash & RAM: It has Flash memory of 64MB/128MB and RAM of 16MB/32MB which is also suitable only for small applications.
5. No Display Interface: There is no RGB/LVDS/VGA/HDMI display interface available on the pins. One needs to use other interfaces or PCIe based converter to attach any TFT display.
6. Low IO count: It has one I2C, one SPI, one Ethernet, one USB 2.0, 3x UARTs (only RX, TX), one SDHC/eMMC, one I2C, and few more GPIOs. This is quite a limited IO count for a commercial application. One USB port is also not enough. If you want to connect external USB devices like keyboard, mouse, wireless modules, etc. and some internal USB device, you will need more than one USB ports.
7. UART with no flow control: Omega2S module cannot interface with the devices which need UART flow control. One such example is wireless modems where RX, TX, RTS, CTS pins are required.
Conclusion: Temperature range and other IO count limitation might be ok for some applications, but, the availability of the Omega2S module is the biggest issue. So the Omega2S module is suitable only for the experiments or hobby projects.
Hope, this information helps.
Happy learning to you!