I have written about PRJC’s Teensy 4.0 board which they have launched a few months back and guess what, now they have launched a new version of Teensy 4 with a little improvements. May be they read my review comments ;), see here what I wrote.
They have launched quite soon a new revision, I was not expecting, not sure, what has triggered this, not so good response or lot of requests for missing features? I don’t know.
Lets is see what is new in the new Teensy 4.1 Development board.
It uses the same NXP IMX RT1062, 600Mhz MCU, nice. I really like this MCU and would be creating a nice board for sure very soon. For now let’s see what’s new the Teensy 4.1 board.
What’s new in Teensy 4.1 Development Board
- Board Size has increased.
- More IOs on header. I didn’t really like the idea that they used randomly spaced pads in the bottom on previous board Teensy 4.0. So, this is definitely a good improvement.
- Ethernet is available on header but no RJ45 Connector, you need an external RJ45 adapter with a cable. Teensy 4.1 Ethernet Adapter PCB can be purchase from OSHpark.
- SD Card connector is available on board so that a big plus.
- USB Host is also available but on the header, again here you will need to buy a USB Host 5 pin cable.
- External RAM can be soldered on the bottom side of the board on SOIC package.
- Similar to RAM, external SPI Flash can be soldered on the bottom side of the PCB.
You can see how SPI RAM and Flash can be used:
USB Host Cable connection from the 5 pin header
Teensy 4.1 Board Pin outs
Difference between Teensy 4.0 and Teensy 4.1 Boards
(as mentioned on PRJC’s website)
|Feature||Teensy 4.1||Teensy 4.0|
|Ethernet||10 / 100 Mbit|
|USB Host||5 Pins with|
|2 SMT Pads|
|SDIO (4 bit data)||Micro SD Socket||8 SMT Pads|
|Flash Memory||8 Mbyte||2 Mbyte|
|QSPI Memory||2 chips|
Plus Program Memory
|Program memory only|
|Breadboard Friendly I/O||42||24|
|Bottom SMT Pad Signals||7||16|
|SD Card Signals||6||0|
|Total I/O Pins||55||40|
My review points about Teensy 4.1
It’s nothing negative but I will share my option/view on what I think is good and what could have been better. I think that’s what engineers truly are, they learn from new things and they also analyze what could have been better. So, here are my views:
- Well definitely I would consider this as a more useful board that Teensy 4.0 if you need more IOs and Ethernet, SD Card and USB Host. But, I think if the board had Ethernet and USB Host on the board itself without have the complexity of adding external adapter/cables, it would have been nicer.
- I would expect a board with USB Host, SD card, Ethernet on a small square size board with all the interfaces on dual line header. It would have been perfect but I guess they don’t want move from their signature Teensy form factor.
- Possibility of External RAM and Flash, this very nice feature.
Cost & how to Buy Teensy 4.1 Board?
Teensy 4.1 board cost’s a little higher than it’s younger brother 4.0. This one costs you $26.85. You can buy directly from their website and may be also available on your favorite online store.
I guess you are also excited like I am. I just can’t wait to have this little beast in my hand and experiment. Need to see if I can order for shipment to Bangalore, India due to Covid-19.
Bye for now.
You can read my other blogs or interesting embedded system articles here where I share some of the practical tips for embedded system design.
I help embedded engineers and start ups build reliable and successful embedded products and providing professional services as embedded system design consultant. If you need any help please let me know here.
Happy Learning to you!